Health is a state of complete physical, mental, social wellbeing and not merely the absence of disease (WHO).
Children are exposed to various forms of disease as a result of their gradaually developing immune system.
Common health challenge in under-fives which constitutes a great percentage to their morbidity and mortality include
• Acute Respiratory Tract Infection (e.g Pneumonia).
• HIV, and
Common symptons noticed in children could include cough, vomiting, eye or ear discharge, fever, flu, passage of loose stools etc
Tips for keeping your child healthy:
• Regular and Prompt hospital visits for
◦ Well child clinic visit;
◦ Sick child clinic visit;
◦ Specialized visits (e.g eye check, ear check, dental clinic)
• Routine Immunization Practices
• Good Hygiene
◦ Teach children regular hand washing before meals and after playing, after using the toilet.
◦ Teach girl child to wipe from front to back to reduce the risk of urinary tract infection,
◦ Keep environment clean.
◦ Teach child not to touch eyes or poke nose.
• Avoid over crowding;
• Ensure good ventilation;
• Avoid passive inhalation of smoke.
• Good breastfeeding practices.
• Ensure balanced diet.
• Prompt use of Oral Rehydraytion Solution (ORS) or homemade Salt Sugar Solution (SSS) for cases of Diarrhoea or vomiting.
• Encourage good mental health, by
◦ Communicating with your child;
◦ Saying in contact with school teachers;
◦ Showing love to your child.
• Establish a sleeping schedule.
• Ensure study time.
• Encourage physcial activity
• Avoid bad practices eg
◦ Breastmilk on eyes.
◦ Urine in eyes.
◦ Drinking urine
◦ Applying cow dung on the head of newborns (around the soft portion – the anterior frontanelle).
• Avoid use of tooth paste or herbal mixtures on navel (umbilicus).Leave a reply →